QUSRA, Occupied West Bank — For days, Loui Ridi watched helplessly from his home in Ohio as live security camera footage broadcasted a nightmare unfolding thousands of miles away: groups of Israeli settlers surrounding his family property in the occupied West Bank.
Driven by a refusal to stand by while his home was threatened, the Palestinian-American landlord flew to Israel and arrived in the village of Qusra on Monday to join his family members defending the house.
"I’ve been watching this live for many days, and now this is the second week. I can’t sleep," Ridi told reporters upon landing at Israel's main international airport. "I can’t let the settlers steal my house while I was watching."
The standoff in Qusra, located south of Nablus, has left several Palestinian homes surrounded by groups of settlers, preventing residents from leaving freely. While Ridi was traveling, his brother, Qusai Abu Rida, and his teenage nephew remained trapped inside the house to guard the structure from potential destruction or takeover.
Upon arriving in his hometown on Monday evening, Ridi shared an emotional reunion with his mother and sister before preparing to enter the besieged house. The Israeli military has deployed troops to the area and designated the neighborhood a closed military zone, stating the move is intended to maintain order. However, family members say little has changed since the blockade began early last week.
Footage captured by Ridi’s brother on Monday showed armed settlers riding ATVs through the area and interacting casually with Israeli soldiers, highlighting the frustration felt by local residents over selective enforcement.
"I should be able to go to my house freely, anytime I want," Ridi said, calling the situation a constant nightmare for his entire family.
The ongoing siege in Qusra comes amid a sharp escalation of violence across the occupied West Bank. emboldened by Israel's right-wing government, groups of settlers have intensified attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, setting fire to homes, vehicles, and farmland.
According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli forces and settlers have killed at least 87 Palestinians in the West Bank since the start of the year. During the same period, three Israelis have been killed, including two during clashes in the nearby village of Tell.
While the U.S. government has condemned the ongoing siege, families like the Ridis remain trapped in uncertainty, forced to personally guard their homes against an ever-present threat.